Senior Accountant/Payroll Administrator - DeSoto County BOCC
DeSoto County BOCC
Senior Accountant/Payroll Administrator
Salary Range: 03/08/2017
R E C R U I T M E N T N O T I C E
As an employer, DeSoto County will not permit discrimination because of race, color, handicap, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, marital status, or political affiliation. We make every effort to employ best-qualified individuals. Preference shall be given to certain veterans and spouses of veterans as provided by Chapter 295, Laws of Florida.
This is an advanced accounting position with responsibility for payroll, maintenance of the Desoto County general ledger, some cash management, assisting in the preparation and maintenance of the County operating budget, preparation of financial reports, and analysis for management and third parties, and various accounting tasks as needed. The incumbent will be expected to cross train on other areas of equal or lesser complexity and serve as backup for those functions. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Administrative Services Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Preparation and distribution of payroll, including all accompanying reports, journal entries, payroll deposits, and check requests. Maintenance of master payroll records, time/leave slips, and miscellaneous related records. Preparation of payroll reports, including 941 taxes, workers compensation labor reports, unemployment reports, retirement reports, and year-end W-2 forms in accordance with required timetable deadlines.
- Reconcile monthly health & life, dental, vision insurance payments by the County.
- Monthly auditing of general ledger records to ensure accuracy and integrity of transactions. Reconciliation of general ledger with subsidiary ledgers, and preparation of journal entries for approval as needed with subsequent posting to the computer.
- Verify compliance with Florida Statutes, GASB, and office policies & procedures.
- Assist in verification of all receipts received or turned in by other departments, followed by issuance of receipt slips, preparation of deposit for bank, transport to bank, and data entry into computer.
- Assist with year-end processes and with preparation of audited financial reports for Desoto County. Analyze and monitor all statements produced by the Administrative Services Department.
- Provide assistance in the production of accounts payable, and accounts receivable, and cash receipts as needed.
- Other various and assorted duties as assigned.
(These essential job functions are not to be considered as complete statements of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of accepted accounting principles, practices, standards and reporting requirements
- Knowledge and comprehension of computerized accounting software, including ability to access, input, and retrieve data from a computer.
- Skill in using office equipment, including a PC, calculator, fax, and photocopier
- Ability to apply such knowledge to various work problems/scenarios
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
- Ability to provide accurate, complete financial reports on a timely basis
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and general public
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Graduation from accredited four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field. Two years in accounting and/or the maintenance of fiscal records preferred.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Acceptable eyesight and hearing (with or without corrections)
- Ability to sit at a desk and view a display screen for extended periods of time
- Ability to access file cabinets for filing and retrieving of data
- Ability to access, input, and retrieve information from a computer at prescribed rate of speed
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Works inside in an office environment most of the time.
- Periodic trips to County property for inventory-taking purposes.