Salary Range: $80,121.60 - $124,280.00 Annually
Closing: Open Until Filled
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CLASS:
This positon reports to the Assistant General Manger (AGM)-Fiscal Operations and handles the day-to-day accounting operations for the City of Lakeland Department of Electric Utilities known as Lakeland Electric (LE). Duties include supervising personnel of LE’s Finance Division and overseeing all governmental accounting and financial reporting matters of the utility. The Controller must have extensive accounting knowledge and strong technical skills requiring the exercise of considerable independent judgment in the application of the accounting principles prescribed by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). Work is subject to review by the AGM-Fiscal Operations, the City of Lakeland’s Finance Director and periodic and annual audits by the City’s internal and external auditors.
- Oversees day-to-day operations of LE’s finance and accounting.
- Manages the maintenance of Lakeland Electric’s accounting system, in accordance with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission’s (FERC’s) Uniform System of Accounts and rules of the Auditor General of the State of Florida.
- Develops, revises and implements accounting policies and procedures for all organizational units of the electric utility within the framework of the City Charter, Federal, State and local laws, and in accordance with accounting principles set forth by the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Prepares, reconciles and coordinates LE’s annual audited stand-alone financial statements, including Management’s Discussion and Analysis and notes to the financial statements.
- Oversees preparation of Lakeland Electric’s “Popular Annual Financial Report” (PAFR) as defined by the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA).
- Monitors internal controls and recommends changes and modifications to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Plans and oversees internal audits of departmental operations and records, e.g., inventories maintained by operating divisions.
- Coordinates work both before and during financial and sales tax audits to insure the external audit staff conducts audits as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Communicates closely with the City of Lakeland’s Finance Department in preparation of the City’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) and the annual Bond Holder’s Report.
- Assists the AGM-Fiscal Operations and Fiscal Operation Managers in the preparation and maintenance of Lakeland Electric’s operating and capital budgets.
- Works closely with the Rates Division and System Planning Division in preparing revenue projections, rate studies, and cost of service studies.
- Supports the AGM-Fiscal Operations with the preparation of various financial presentations for the Utility Committee, City Commission and others.
- Prepares a variety of financial schedules, account reconciliations, and journal entries.
- Performs monthly analysis of financial data and communicates any changes in the financial status of the utility to the AGM-Fiscal Operations.
- May act in absence of Assistant General Manager-Fiscal Operations.
- Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, supervise, and manage employees.
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as required by GASB for municipal governments.
- Thorough knowledge of regulatory accounting practices applicable to public electric utilities.
- Thorough knowledge of municipal budgeting practices.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable city ordinances, departmental policies, federal regulations, and state statutes.
- Thorough knowledge of State of Florida sales and use tax laws applicable to electric utilities.
- Experience with hands on preparation and review of monthly financial and operational reports.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial disclosures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Finance Director, the management of Lakeland Electric, auditors, regulators, vendors, and customers.
- Ability to understand and effectively utilize the advanced functionality of computer software programs including: Oracle General Ledger and Excel.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment in initiating, planning, and carrying out the functions of the job.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, subordinates, coworkers, elected officials, and the general public.
- Must have advanced computer skills working with spreadsheets and custom queries to download data and create custom reports. Needs to be able to adapt quickly to working with many computer software systems to extract data for analysis.
- Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time; exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis; and routine keyboard operations.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing, speaking the English language, color perception, sense of smell, depth perception and texture perception.
QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE):
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting from an accredited four (4) year college or university. Master’s degree preferred. Five (5) years of experience in a responsible accounting position, including three (3) years of electric utility accounting experience with three (3) years of management/supervisory experience. Recent governmental accounting experience preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Government Financial Officer (CGFO) preferred.
- Must possess a valid state of Florida driver’s license.
- Must maintain a valid telephone number.
- May be required to work overtime, or alternate hours, as necessary for the efficient operation of the department. Position may be designated as Mission Critical by Department Director.