City of Deerfield Beach
Performs all aspects of planning, analysis, formulation and execution of the City’s annual operating budget and five-year capital improvement plan. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, and performance is reviewed from an overall standpoint through reports submitted, conferences, and results obtained. The position may require work after hours during specified periods of the year.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops revenue and expenditure projections; prepares economic analysis to project, monitor, and propose financial options.
- Reviews departmental budget submissions for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with established procedures, regulations, and organizational objectives.
- Works closely with departmental managers to establish benchmarks and performance measures.
- Assists departments in formulating their operating and capital budgets.
- Assists with the development of the Capital Improvement Element for the City’s Comprehensive Plan.
- Prepares and analyzes financial reports to identify potential problems and significant trends to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules, and/or policies.
- Performs monthly analysis of budgetary performance and addresses significant variations with applicable departmental personnel.
- Prepares electronic spreadsheets for use in budget development and analysis.
- Assists with the maintenance of the overall financial records of the City.
- Develops the annual operating budget and Capital Improvement Program within the established general guidelines.
- Assists with the preparation the Comprehensive Annual Financial report.
- Assists with the development of workforce and fiscal budget activities of divisions within the system with other City departments to assure maximum operational results.
- Monitors and records budget adjustment entries.
- Assists with the design, development and overall layout of the City’s budget document.
- Interacts with internal and external customers to determine business needs.
- Maintains the Financial Services web page and participates in the design and modification of the Application Programming Interface for financial transparency.
- Reviews and evaluates work performed by subordinate staff.
- Instructs staff in the use of new internal procedures and operating instructions.
- Prepares the City’s payroll budget and forecasts the impact of proposed raises, promotions, reclassifications, and benefits.
- Participates in the review of periodic revenue estimates and special analyses of specific revenue sources, estimates/forecasts revenues for budget planning purposes, and assists with the City’s compliance with State of Florida Truth in Millage (TRIM) procedures.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field. Master’s degree preferred. Minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in governmental accounting/budgeting or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Requires thorough knowledge of governmental operations, scope and purpose as well as the ability to make use of information by analysis, correlation, and objectivity.
Licenses and/or Certificates:
CPA license or CGFO certificate is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices, financial reporting, local ordinances and resolutions, State statues, and internal control procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting/budgeting practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping procedures.
- Knowledge in the preparation process for financial statements/budget documents in conformity with established practices and procedures.
• Demonstrated analytical skills that allow for the interpretation of budgetary, financial and related management information.
• Skill in the operations of computer software applications, particularly word processing, spreadsheets, graphics and other desk-top publishing programs.
• Skill in the usage of a 10-key calculator.
• Skill in preparing accurate and complex financial documents for distribution to internal and external parties.
• Skill in prioritizing work assignments; analyzing, preparing, checking and balancing routine fiscal transactions and accounts.
• Ability to make recommendations that impact the budget and manage and determine allocation of the budget.
• Ability to use small office equipment and computers.
The physical demands involve fingering, hearing, near acuity, repetitive motion, standing, talking, and walking. May be required to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
Hours of work: Monday – Friday, 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Apply to Human Resources, 150 N.E. 2nd Avenue, Deerfield Beach, FL 33441