Finance Manager - City of Tavares
City of Tavares
Salary Range: $49,000 - $73,500
Closing: Open Until Filled
Performs a variety of complex supervisory, professional, administrative, and technical accounting and finance functions in management work supervising the fiscal accounting operations of the City of Tavares. Work is performed with considerable independence in judgment and decision-making. Under the general direction of the Finance Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops, implements, and modifies accounting systems and procedures to meet staff needs, city and state requirements, and federal regulations.
- Provides assistance in the preparation of the annual budget, provides oversight for payroll transactions in the city’s payroll system, and ensures accurate and detailed fiscal and accounting reports are prepared in a timely manner.
- Assists the Finance Director in the supervision for reviews by other government agencies, state auditors, and independent auditors.
- Selects, trains and directs department staff and ensures proper methods and procedures are followed.
- Provides supervision for fiscal and accounting efficiency, internal control systems, data report runs, and record maintenance.
- Coordinates and supervises cash management and investment activities.
- Monitors, evaluates and recommends modification of automated support systems to meet fiscal and accounting requirements.
- Position requires analytical interpretation, logic, work planning and complex decision-making. Requires constant reading and hearing; frequent speaking, writing and sitting; and requires some walking.
- Plans, supervises, and coordinates the work of employees engaged in maintaining utility billing, customer relations, accounts payable and business tax receipts.
- Ensures proper preparation of bills, late notices, and issuance of credit and other relevant transactions.
- Provides oversight for the posting and reconciliation of ledgers and accounts.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Significant knowledge of modern governmental accounting theory, principles, and practices; considerable knowledge of internal control procedures and management information systems; considerable knowledge of office automation and computerized financial applications; considerable knowledge of payroll and accounts payable functions; working knowledge of budgetary, accounting and reporting systems, GAAFR, GAAP and GASB.
- Ability to maintain efficient and effective financial systems and procedures; ability to effectively supervise staff; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, city officials, citizens; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Significant knowledge and proficiency in using spread sheets.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or a related field. Five or more years of automated accounting experience, to include one year of supervisory experience.
- Significant experience with advanced spreadsheet software.
- Preference given to those with local government finance and accounting experience.
- Experience with SunGard Systems preferable.
(A comparable amount of training, education or experience can be substituted for the minimum qualifications.)
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS:
- Valid Florida Driver’s License
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- Work is usually performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Occasionally the employee maybe required to go to locations within the City to meet with citizens, officials, or observe work situations, problem solving, etc.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
The City Of Tavares is an Equal Employment Opportunity, Drug-Free Workplace and E-Verify Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply and will be reasonably accommodated. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ Preference offered on initial hire per Florida Statute 295. Selected applicants receiving a conditional offer of employment are subject to a criminal, driver, education and employment background check, drug screen, psychological assessment and medical examination. To apply, a City of Tavares employment application and resume with a minimum of ten (10) years complete work history must be submitted to City of Tavares Human Resources no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date (if mailed, it must be postmarked no later than the closing date). Internal candidates must submit a completed Internal Transfer Request (available in Human Resources, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date. Minimum qualifications are subject to change pending approval of job description(s). Equivalent combination of related training and experience may be considered. The City of Tavares reserves the right to fill positions prior to the closing date. All positions are regular full-time unless otherwise noted.