Columbia County Clerk of Court
Salary Range: $45,000 - $55,000
Closing: Open Until Filled
This is a highly responsible and technical position operating within the Board Finance function of the Clerk of the Court. Position performs duties congruent with Clerk’s role as Accountant, Auditor, and Custodian of County funds. Work is directed and supervised by the Finance Director, with some level of autonomy, professional judgment, and independent decision making required.
- Performs both routine and unique accounting, auditing, and financial functions.
- Provide accounting services to all county departments.
- Respond to internal and external requests for financial information.
- Provides input to Finance Director on technical accounting issues, financial control matters and policy compliance.
- Assist in the development and oversight of all internal accounting procedures, controls, and policy, and in ensuring compliance with budgetary laws & policy, generally accepted accounting principles, and applicable regulatory standards.
- Instructs Finance and County staff on their duties with regard to proper application of procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Assist the Finance Director in financial reporting to the Board and all federal and state agencies.
- Assist in facilitating the annual financial audit performed by the county’s independent auditors.
- Assist and administer the pre-audit and disbursement of all county funds to ensure all expenditures are legal, budgeted, and in compliance with county purchasing policies and procedures.
- Assist the pre-audit, disbursement and reporting of payroll for all Board of County Commissioner’s employees.
- Pre-audit and properly record all revenues of the county, including taxes, grant funds, charges for services and other sources.
- Screening provided documentation for additions, deletions, and transfers of capital and non-capital equipment to make sure it is sufficient per policy.
- Enter asset additions, deletions, and transfers of capital and non-capital equipment.
- Assisting county’s Property Manager in performance and summation of annual county inventory process.
- Administer and troubleshoot issues with the computer based accounting system.
- Assists in putting together procedural manuals for various operations in Finance.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Finance Director or Clerk of the Court (These job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed).
- Attends work on a continual and regular basis for assigned work hours.
NON ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assist in other departments as needed.
Moderate noise in a business office setting. The majority of job functions are performed in a private office within the Clerk’s office.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration. Experience in governmental accounting/auditing preferred. Specific experience demonstrably developing necessary job skills may be given additional weighting with regard to other requirements.
REQUIRED JOB SKILLS
- Familiarity with FL Uniform Chart of Accounts
- Familiarity with GASB 34
- Knowledge of general and governmental accounting practices and principles
- Strong computer skills with an understanding of accounting software, proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to pay close attention to details
- Excellent mathematical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to operate standard office equipment, including personal computers, word processing, and comfortable with inputting large amounts of data entry
- Positive work ethic and work attitude
- Self starter and independent
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and recognize and establish work priorities
- Ability to understand written and verbal English directives
- Ability to respectfully communicate, verbally and in writing, with diverse employees as well as the public
- Ability to handle individuals who are under stress with courtesy, tact and patience
- Ability to handle sensitive matters with integrity and confidentiality
Work requires significant periods of sitting, reading, computer usage and constant use of fingers, hands and arms. This work also involves a significant amount of talking and listening. Position requires the ability to lift and transfer up to 10 lbs. and the ability to lean and stretch.
All personnel are subject to reassignment at the Clerk’s discretion.
Resumes for this position may be mailed to: Dept. of Human Resources
Attn: Sandy A. Markham
Post Office Box 2069
Lake City, FL. 32056