Accounting Specialist - Corrections
Salary Range: $31,968.35 - $52,822.85 Annually
Closing: Open Until Filled
The County of Volusia is seeking an experienced Accounting Specialist for the Corrections Division. This position is located in Daytona Beach, Florida, and will be responsible for maintaining accounts payable records, preparing year-end schedules to be used as support documentation for financial statements, as well as, coordinating, preparation and processing year-end activities. This position may require supervisory responsibilities.
(NOTE: These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.)
- Responsible for daily operations of a functional section.
- May be totally responsible for accounts of an activity or division.
- Conducts routine and complex audits of a variety of records by examining, verifying, and reviewing accounts, invoices, and a payment records.
- Assists division with billing problems and payments.
- Identifies and implements changes that will enable the functional section to operate more efficiently.
- Assigns work, trains and supervised subordinate personnel and reviews their work product in their specific area of responsibility.
- Prepares performance evaluations for those employees under his/her supervision
- Prepare year-end schedules to be used as support documentation for financial statements.
- Coordinate year-end activities related to functions of the section and the division.
- Assist in the preparation of budget estimates.
- Supervises accounts payable, payroll audit and inmate banking functions.
- May be assigned to other county locations based upon operational needs.
- Attends work on a regular and consistent basis.
- Must adhere to Federal, State, County and Local ordinances.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Two (2) years of work experience as a Senior Accounting Clerk with Volusia County or graduation from high school or possession of GED certificate and five (5) of advanced experience maintaining accounting and/or payroll records. A comparable amount of education, training, or experience with related job skills may be substituted for the minimum requirements. The preferred candidate (having met the minimum requirements) will have at least two (2) years of supervisory experience and at least one (1) year of experience recording and reconciling cash transactions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of bookkeeping and able to apply this knowledge in varied work situations.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations relative to financial records within the unit of assignment.
- Knowledge of payroll and/or financial accounting software systems.
- Able to perform daily work involving written or numerical data and to make arithmetic calculations rapidly and accurately.
- Able to audit accounting or payroll functions and prepare reports.
- Able to supervise.
- Able to establish and maintain good working relationships with public and other Departments.
- Able to work under stressful conditions.
- Able to interact effectively with others.
- Must be able to relocate to other county locations based upon operational needs.
Physical Demands: Primarily sedentary work. Ability to see and possess good manual dexterity so as to have the ability to utilize office equipment and operate computers. Ability to verbally interact with the public and staff under diverse situations. Able to hear commands, instructions, announcements over PA systems, and other alarms, whether by vice or mechanical alarm.
Environmental Demands: Inside work. able to tolerate confined restricted work location. Able to withstand infrequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions (fumes, chemical sprays, and odors).
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend instructions, procedures, memos, financial reports/statements, statistical reports, and letters. Ability to do general mathematical calculations including basic accounting and bookkeeping. Ability to write and speak clearly and concisely to relay information, data, and details to others.
Volusia County is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
230 North Woodland Blvd Suite 262
DeLand, FL 32720
Volusia County is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce. Veterans' preference pursuant to State law. Individuals with a disability who require special accommodations during the selection process should notify the Human Resources Division at (386)736-5951.