Controller - City of Lakeland
City of Lakeland
Salary Range: $80,121.60 - $124,280.00 Annually
Closing: Open Until Filled
City of Lakeland, Lakeland Electric (LE) Department seeks a strong, results-oriented Controller to manage day-to-day accounting operations. Duties include managing personnel of LE's Finance Division and overseeing all governmental accounting and financial reporting matters of the utility. The Controller must have extensive accounting knowledge and strong technical skills requiring considerable independent judgment in the application of the accounting principles prescribed by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB). This position reports to the Assistant General Manager of Fiscal Operations. This position reports to the Assistant General Manager of Fiscal Operations. Work is also reviewed by the City of Lakeland's Finance Director and periodic and annual audits by the city's internal and external auditors.
- Lakeland Electric is the third largest publicly-owned electric utility in Florida with 970 MW of internal generation, 123,000 customer accounts, a 258 square mile service area, 550 employees and operating revenues of $350,000,000. Lakeland Electric is in Polk County approximately 30 miles east of Tampa and 40 miles west of Orlando. Lakeland, Florida is renowned for its beauty, charm, vitality and sense of continual progress. Lakeland was ranked #8 nationally by Forbes.com for "U.S. Cities on the Rise."
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's or Master's degree in Accounting.
- Five (5) years of experience in a responsible accounting position, including three (3) years of electric utility accounting experience and three (3) years of management/supervisory experience.
- Recent governmental accounting experience preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or Certified Government Financial Officer (CGFO) preferred.
- OR an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for success in the target position.
The City of Lakeland offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that will vary based on the credentials and proven abilities of the individual selected based on qualifications and accomplishments. The City of Lakeland's excellent benefit package includes medical, dental, and vision plans, disability plans, life insurance, paid time off and a robust pension plan.
Resume and college transcripts must be submitted with the application.
Qualified applicants should submit an online applications @