Palm Beach County
Salary Range: $47,476 - $65,154
Closing: Open Until Filled
ABOUT THE JOB:
The Clerk's office is seeking a Budget Analyst to perform analysis and interpretation of financial data and create/develop associated financial reports. Work involves gathering and analyzing data points that are compiled for various financial reporting objectives of the Clerk & Comptroller's office. Employees in this classification are responsible for drawing and relaying valid and reliable conclusions related to data interpretation and organizing and designing data reports in a timely manner for internal and external customers. Incumbent performs detailed financial and/or management analysis, reviews or prepares annual budget for all departments, prepares forecasts of revenues and expenditures, prepares actual allocations of expenditures for each funding source according to statutory guidelines and evaluates and issues monthly financial reports. Work requires knowledge of methods and procedures used in financial management analysis. Incumbent also assists in completing special requests by management.
The Clerk's office has demanding timelines and we need an experienced budget analyst who has a strong sense of urgency and commitment to public service, is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, is passionate about providing outstanding customer service and desires a challenging and rewarding career.
For those candidates who qualify, the Clerk & Comptroller's office offers an excellent benefits package including health, dental, vision, life and disability plans plus participation in the FRS retirement plan.
ROLE OF POSITION:
The successful candidate will perform the essential functions as outlined above, as well as the following functions:
- Gathers and analyzes data budget expenditures and revenues according to assigned financial reporting objectives of the Clerk & Comptroller's office
- Reviews and analyzes submitted budget requests, budget transfers, and current and historical expenditures; assesses financial impact and operational needs; ensures accurate processing of budget/position transfers
- Performs revenue projections and analysis; provides recommendations to staff and management team based on the results of the analysis
- Assists in the preparation of annual documents to be submitted for budget awards and recognition
- Draws valid and reliable conclusions regarding data interpretation; determines best and most appropriate reporting format(s) accordingly; reports on findings to management, as appropriate
- Prepares detailed analysis of budget historical trends and projected forecasts
- Gathers, organizes, designs, calculates, and provides financial data in variety of reporting formats, e.g., spreadsheets, databases, special report writers, narrative reports; produces reports for monitoring and decision-making purposes
- Validates budget data; ensures data processing within the system is accurate; runs validation reports regularly; identifies and/or corrects data processes and reports
- Participates in the preparation of departmental budgets; reviews budget submittals for compliance with directives regarding budget preparation; prepares periodic reports during budget year highlighting variances; assists with preparing informational reports used by external auditors; reports to management any irregularities or points of concern regarding departmental budgets
- Communicates with management, other departments, technical support staff, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The ideal candidate will have experience with budgeting and forecasting along with the following:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- At least three (3) years recent, relevant, and progressively responsible experience in analyzing and interpreting financial data, accounting principles and practices, and design/preparation of management reports
- Extensive knowledge and experience in database systems, spreadsheets, and report writers required; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products, particularly Microsoft Excel
- Prior governmental finance experience is a plus
Note: Vacancy postings may be cancelled at any time based on business needs. Applicants to have applied will be notified of cancellations.
The Clerk & Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace. Depending on the position, candidates are subject to drug screening, a physical and a background check as a condition of employment. Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled. To claim preference, an applicant must complete and upload both the Veterans’ Preference Claim Form and required documentation prior to the position’s posted closing date. Hiring decisions are based on qualified candidates’ non-numerical assessments and numerical assessments, which include interviews. If an applicant claiming veterans’ preference for a vacant position is not selected, they may file a complaint with the Florida Department of Veterans' Affairs (DVA), Division of Benefits and Assistance - Veterans' Preference, Post Office Box 31003, St. Petersburg, FL 33731. If an applicant seeking veterans’ preference in employment in the state of Florida is not selected for the position and is so notified, they must file their complaint with the DVA within 21 calendar days from the date the applicant is notified of the hiring decision or within three months of the date the application is filed with the employer if no notice is given.