City of Miami Beach
Management & Budget Analyst
Salary Range: $55,059 - $90,062 Annually
Closing: Open Until Filled
NATURE OF WORK:
This is professional level management analysis work in the City's Budget Section of the Office of Budget and Performance Improvement. Employees in this class assist in the preparation and maintenance of the City's operating and capital budgets, and in the providing of budgetary analysis and assistance to the City Manager and the various City Department Heads. Employees assist in the development of guidelines for department budget preparation, make recommendations regarding fee (revenue) changes, monitor and review expenditures, maintain personnel position control system, make recommendations regarding the results of fiscal or operational reviews, and perform general and specialized management analysis of a varied nature.
Emphasis of the work is on participating in allocating of resources in support in support of the City's strategic plan through performance based budgeting approaches; identifying and measuring work outputs and outcomes; analyzing methods, procedures and work flow; and assisting in the preparation of reports containing conclusions and recommendations. Supervision is received from a professional superior who assigns work, provides guidance and assistance, and review completed tasks.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Assists in the preparation of annual department operating budgets.
- Monitors department budgets, comparing actual to budgeted expenditures, monitoring position control including approval of requests to fill positions etc.
- Assists project team by documenting methods, procedures and work flows; reviewing forms, procedures, tables of organization, and job descriptions, developing methodologies, including statistical methods and final report structure, developing flow charts and work distribution charts.
- Conducts research and collects data via field observations, work sampling and/or interviews.
- Analyzes methods, procedures and work flows for the purpose of identifying bottlenecks, duplications, error sources, workload imbalances, and other problem areas.
- Assists in the research, design and development of solutions and improvements to increase efficiency and effectiveness of operations.
- Participates in the implementation of approved recommendations, including assisting in the preparation of forms, procedures, and training materials.
- Provides support to fee studies and cost analyses.
- Provides assistance to the City Manager's Office when requested.
- Performs related work as required.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Business or Public Administration, or a related field, with three (3) years of experience in preparing budgets, management systems analysis, performance improvement reviews, or related analytical work. Additional related experience may substitute for education on a year-for-year basis.
- Candidate must have knowledge of governmental budgeting techniques, and accounting and financial analysis procedures and methods. Public Sector (municipal) experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of management.
- Considerable knowledge of statistical methods and measurement techniques.
- Knowledge of research techniques required to gather information for use a productivity study.
- Knowledge of work distribution charts, procedural and process flow charts and organizational charts.
- Knowledge of the structure and function of local government department.
- Thorough knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software.
- Ability to assess the efficiency and effectiveness of City operations including work areas, equipment, forms and manpower.
- Ability to identify opportunities to improve productivity through data collected and research, work simplification and methods improvements.
- Ability to coordinate and manage research projects from start to finish.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, other employees, and personnel within area of assignment.
- Ability to analyze unit work activities as a whole, each work activity independently and their interrelationships.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, and to prepare written reports and make verbal presentations of findings.
- Ability to use a variety of work measurement methods and techniques.
- General direction is received from a professional superior for adherence to City policies and attainment of desired goals and objectives.
- Work is performed with little direct supervision and with latitude for the use of independent judgment.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact
- Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to, word processor, calculator, copier, and fax machine
Applicants must detail any related work experience on the application or risk disqualification. It is the applicant's responsibility to update their NEOGOV profile with work experience, education, certifications and personal contact information when submitting each application, failure to do so will result in ineligibility. City of Miami Beach employees must reflect their current position and detail their work experience on the application to avoid being disqualified.
Veterans Preference: Veterans Preference is awarded in accordance with Florida State Statute 295.7. If veteran's preference is being claimed, it must be indicated on the application form and proper documentation, including all forms DD-214 (either Member 2 or Member 4), as well as the final Department of Defense Disability Letter (dated within one year) must be submitted with the application.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
OUR OFFICE IS LOCATED AT:
1700 Convention Center Drive 3rd Floor
Miami Beach, FL 33139