Director of Finance - Village of Palmetto Bay
Village of Palmetto Bay
Director of Finance
Salary Range: $81,503 - $132,849
Closing: Open Until Filled
Responsible for directing and coordinating activities concerning the areas of accounting, budgeting, treasury, debt administration, cash management and procurement. Administer the Village's insurance program.
Supervision Received and Exercised
Serves as a key member of the Village's leadership team under the guidance of the Village Manager. Supervises all personnel and functions of the Department of Finance including the accounting, procurement and cashiering functions, as well as the alarm reduction program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs, plans, coordinates, and administers all financial matters of the Village and the operation of the Village's financial department.
- Analyzes, recommends and assists in the installation of new or modified fiscal and management systems, forms, procedures, and other financial and accounting matters.
- Provides overall direction and strategy regarding policies, procedures and regulations to the Village.
- Develops and manages the Village's annual operating and capital budget; forecasts revenues and expenses; works with department heads to develop the annual departmental budget; establishes controls for budget administration.
- Prepares long-range analyses and cost studies of revenues, expenditures, and bond issue requirements.
- Manages the procurement function of the Village; develops procedures and processes in accordance with financial rules and adopted policies and ordinances.
- Prepares all audit schedules and any other information required by the independent auditors; prepare the Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Invests funds in accordance with the Village's Investment Policy.
- Administers and maintains the Village's fixed asset records including assets such as land, buildings, equipment, vehicles and other improvements.
- Manages the Village's liability and property damage insurance claims, including but not limited to submitting claims and corresponding with insurance agents on pending items.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by the Village Manager.
Educations & Experience
Other Required Competencies
- Bachelor's Degree with major course work in accounting or finance from an accredited school.
- Certification in 1 or more of the following:
CPA (Certified Public Accountant)
CGFO (Certified Government Finance Officer)
CPFO (Certified Public Finance Officer)
- Five (5) years of prior work experience in the design, installation, and maintenance or auditing of government accounting systems, or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of prior supervisory experience.
- Must possess extensive computer expertise.
- Must be fluent in the English language.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- Thorough knowledge of governmental accounting principles, practices, methods and procedures.
- Ability to evaluate existing accounting methods, procedures, and practices and recommend improvements.
- Must be able to present ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental officials, associates, subordinates and the public.
- Work is primarily performed indoors in an office environment.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees, colleagues and the general public through the use of the telephone, email and personal contact.
- Requires the physical capability to effectively use and operate different office equipment, such as but not limited to, a telephone, desktop computer, calculator, copier, scanner, fax machine, etc.
- Requires intermittent sitting, standing, walking, bending, crouching, and repetitive motion; occasional lifting of light objects.
NOTE: RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT A COMPLETED EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION. Please visit www.palmettobay-fl.gov or contact Human Resources for an application and/or instructions on how to apply.
The minimum requirements may be waived by the Village Manager. The Village of Palmetto Bay reserves the right to update and/or change this job description at any time. The Village of Palmetto Bay is and Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and Drug-free Workplace.
Once a conditional offer has been made, selected applicants are required to complete all requisites established by the Village for employment, which may include verification of employment, a national criminal background check, a review of the applicant's driving record, and a drug/alcohol test.