City of Sarasota
Manager, Accounting & Payroll Systems
Salary Range: $68,497.31 - $90,758.93 Annually
Closing: Open Until Filled
DEPARTMENT: Financial Administration
JOB TYPE: Probationary FullTime
DESCRIPTION: To manage and coordinate activities of the Accounting and Payroll staff. Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or a Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO) is preferred.
- Organizes and manages the work of the accounting and payroll personnel in the maintenance of the City's financial records.
- Responsible for preparation and issuance of the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Prepares Federal and State Single Audit reporting forms.
- Prepares periodic and special financial statements and reports.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of software applications used for accounting and payroll purposes.
- Supervises preparation of municipal payrolls and issuance of bi weekly paychecks.
- Verifies work of accounting staff to see that proper flow of work is maintained.
- Audits and reconciles financial records for proper application of accounting principles.
- Assists in determining compliance with financerelated laws, rules and regulations.
- Ensures that financial reports effectively communicate financial information that is: understandable, reliable, relevant, timely, consistent and comparable.
- Advises employees of other departments as to procedures and requirements of the accounting system.
The foregoing duties constitute a general description of the duties of the above position. In addition thereto, the incumbent is obligated to perform such other duties as may be assigned at the discretion of
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting and eight (8) years of professional accounting experience. Or Degree in Accounting and one (1) year postgraduate study in accounting (30 semester hours) and six (6) years of professional accounting experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and/or a Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO) is preferred.
- Professional experience shall include expertise in governmental accounting, financial statement preparation, generally accepted accounting principals, personal computers and automated accounting/payroll systems.
- Experience in the preparation of Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFR) and Component Unit Financial Reports (CUFR), Public Employee Retirement System Financial Reports (PERS) and other financial reports for internal and external users.
- Experience with the Government Finance Officers Association's Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting program.
- Extensive experience with computerized general ledger, purchasing, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and fixed assets systems.
JOB BASED COMPETENCIES:
- Extensive knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles as applied to governmental accounting, auditing and financial reporting.
- Knowledge of governmental accounting principles and practices including those promulgated by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB).
- Knowledge of Internal Revenue Service and other regulatory agencies wage and payroll tax provisions and filing requirements. Knowledge of principles, methods and practices of municipal finance methods, procedures and records.
- Ability to analyze complex financial transactions, records and reports.
- Ability to plan, direct and manage accounting personnel in a manner conductive to full performance and high morale.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with other employees, departments and the general public.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT:
111 S Orange Avenue Sarasota, FL 34236
Manager, Accounting & Payroll Systems Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Please indicate your highest level of education: No Diploma or Degree
- High School Diploma or GED
- Post High School Vocational or TechnicalSchool Some College or Business School Training Associate Degree-
- Bachlor Degree Master Degree
- Ph.D, Jd, MD or similar
* 2. Please list the type(s) of degree(s) you hold and the field(s) of study (If none, please state N/A):
* 3. Do you possess one (1) year postgraduate study in accounting (30 semester hours) or more in addition to a degree in accounting?
* 4. How many years of professional level accounting experience do you have?
- No professional level accounting experience
- 1-2 years
- 3-5 years
- 6-9 years
- 10+ years
* 5. Do you have experience with the Government Finance Officers Association's Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting program?
- Yes extensive experience
- Yes some experience
- No experience
* 6. Please check all areas in which you possess professional level accounting experience:
- Expertise in Governmental Accounting
- Financial Statement Preparation
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principals Computer & Automated Accounting Systems Computer & Automated Payroll Systems Computer & Automated Purchasing Systems Computer & Automated Fixed Asset Systems
- No professional level accounting experience
* 7. Do you possess experience with any of the following reports/reporting systems? Please check all that apply:
- Other Financial Reports Internal Other Financial Reports External
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFR)
- Public Employee Retirement System Finance Reports (PERS) Component Unit Financial Reports (CUFR)
- No Experience with reports/reporting systems
* 8. Do you have any Financerelated certifications such as Certified Government Finance Officer (CGFO), Certified Public Finance Officer(CPFO), or Certified Public Accountant (CPA)? Check all that apply.
- No certifications CGFO
- CPFO CPA
- Other FinanceRelated Certifications
* Required Question