County of Volusia
Senior Accountant - Accounting Division
Salary Range: $48,303.00 - $55,000.00 Annually
Closing: Open Until Filled
The County of Volusia is seeking an experienced Senior Accountant. This position is located in Deland, Florida, and will be responsible for managing accounting, budget and payroll, as well as, supervising and maintaining a large volume of governmental financial transactions. The preferred candidate, having met the minimum requirements, will have a Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance with an Accounting minor and at least two (2) years of direct first-hand experience preparing a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). Governmental accounting or auditing experience is a plus.
(NOTE: These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.)
- Directs the accounting program for a fund type group of the County in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Develops, adapts, or revises the accounting system to meet the needs of the organization.
- Supervises and maintains a large volume of governmental financial transactions.
- Assists in developing, modifying, and installing accounting system(s).
- Monitors selected fund account types/groups.
- Prepares financial statements and reports.
- May oversee and monitor on-line computer accounting systems and subsystems.
- Identifies needs and problems within the system(s). Assists Information Technology personnel with the design, evaluation and implementation of new/revised system(s).
- Attends work on a regular and consistent basis.
- Must adhere to Federal, State, County and Local ordinances
- Responds to emergency situations.
- May be assigned to other locations based upon operational needs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance with an Accounting minor, and four (4) years' experience in accounting or auditing. A comparable amount of education, training, or experience may be substituted for the minimum experience (i.e., Master's degree in Business Administration (MBA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and three (3) years of accounting and auditing experience. Having met the minimum requirements. Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license at the time of hire. The preferred candidate, having met the minimum requirements, will have at least two (2) years of direct first-hand experience preparing a Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR). Governmental accounting or auditing experience is a plus!
NOTE: will be required to complete a pre-employment skills test.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures, particularly as they related to governmental financial administration, and ability to apply such knowledge to accounting transactions.
- Knowledge of computers and spreadsheet and other financial software.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations controlling fiscal record keeping.
- Knowledge of accounting auditing.
- Able to work independent of close supervision.
- Able to adopt and revise accounting systems to meet the needs of an accounting activity.
- Able to navigate electronic automated systems (i.e., accounting, budget, payroll and event management)
- Able to develop, modify, and install an accounting system.
- Able to supervise accounting section supervisors and professional accountants engaged in the same type of work.
- Able to work under stressful situations.
- Able to interact effectively with others.
- Must be able to relocate to other county locations based upon operational needs.
Physical Demands: Sedentary work. Ability to see, talk; finger dexerity.
Environmental Demands: Inside work.
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend technical and professional manuals and journals; financial reports; abstracts; legal documents; memos, instructions, letter. Ability to perform advanced mathematical functions. Ability to write reports, financial reports, memos, letters, summaries. Ability to speak clearly and concisely; conversant in theory, policy and practices of area of discipline. Ability to analyze data and develop conclusions. Ability to identify and resolve problems.
Volusia County is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.